Saturday, February 20, 2010

On my soap box

As an adoptive mother, I have been asked the same question over and over until I have no patience anymore. I have a huge pet peeve!! Don't ask me are my children "really" brother and sister or "are they REAL brother and sister". That makes me really angry. Should it make me angry, I don't know. Does it? Absolutely.

That's as bad as asking me is Emy adopted and does she know? Pu-lease. People, she is brown and I am white. She knows!

Now, depending who is asking and how they ask me has a lot to do with how I answer them. Last night, at Emy's ballgame where she was cheering, a man we've known for a while but haven't seen in years (he knew Darrell and me before we had kids) did ask me this question "now, are they really sister and brother?" People, please. . . in a way, I just want to be rude because I think this question is rude. Anyhow, I answered this way. I said, "they are not biological brother and sister, but they fight like they are." I tried to be honest, soft spoken and not to yell at him. But I fumed for the rest of the night. It's just how I roll, ok?

So, from now on this is how I have decided to answer any rude, crude or socially unacceptable question about my children being "real" brother and sister.

I will say YES, they are.

5 comments:

Fenwick 5 said...

Yes is what I am gonna say then I am sure we will get strange looks,but that's ok,alteast they will have something to think on.Sorry u had some fumes to come out! Gidget

Kristi W. said...

Ha ha ha!!! I am SO with you on this one Cindy. I get the same dumb question all the time.."are they sisters?" and I say, "yes they are sisters and they have two brothers as well!". This gets me some really strange looks, especially when the boys are with us (cause they are white) but I don't care. It IS a rude question. ;)

Todd and Michele said...

I will 3rd that! I once answered the question as "not biologically, but in every other sense of the word yes" - - - - and that was the last time. Now it's just like you said - "yes they are" - enough said :)

Peter and Nancy said...

I'm sure that question is waiting for us in the future . . . and I plan to just say yes, too. :o) Thanks for the heads-up on this one!
Nancy

The Bullen's said...

I don't fully understand the way that you feel. But, I'm pretty sure that most of the people asking aren't trying to be rude, just curious. I like your decision to just answer YES! Your children are most precious!!!! =)