Friday, August 8, 2008

Luke--Update

Hey everyone! It's been a while since my last post and boy have I ever been the busy mommy.
Emy will start school on August 25 so we have been preparing for that--more on that later. . .
Luke had a PT and OT visit today and I wanted to update y'all on that so here goes:
Luke is improving in all areas! He understands commands from the PT and OT when they tell him to do certain things. His legs are so strong in comparison to what they were. His boots are helping and he will continue wearing the boots until December. These boots hold his feet in the correct position--Luke is flat footed and his feet "lean in" and they turn in a little too. His hamstrings are "a little tight". Overall, Miss Cathy, his PT, was VERY pleased with what she saw. He is jumping with two feet (a little bit), he is running and walking with no falls now (he used to be a little clumsy), he can stand on tip toe and do stairs one foot and then the other (he used to go right foot and left foot followed to the same step) and he is more comfortable with walking up and down steps without a rail (makes my heart stop though). She gave me some good ideas to improve his physical strength.
So we will continue the boots for another 4 months. At that time, we will switch to a different kind of boot (hopefully less expensive)--y'all these boots costed $900 (after insurance paid their part)--yep, you read it right $900!! My teeth would've fallen out if they weren't attached! LOL!
He was evaluted at Occupational therapy today and they gave us some things to be working on. When I receive the results of that evaluation, I will post again. . . so on we go with the boots and patching his eye and he will remain the booted pirate for a little longer!!
Keep in mind, he's only been here for 6 months so for him to understand commands and questions from strangers is AMAZING, and downright MIRACLE-ish!!
Praise the LORD !!
Y'all, I am so proud of LUKE!!!! He is such a big boy--and so good for me when we go the long distance to UNC--he is a little trooper. My strong, sweet, adorable, kissable, huggable, and sometimes a bit stubborn and angry LITTLE man!!
BUT
THAT's MY BOY.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so proud of how far he has come in just a short six months!! He has a terrific mom and dad that have sooo much love!! I am very proud of all of you!!

The Bullen's said...

I have been noticing such a great improvement in Luke! He is simply amazing, and a precious little miracle. You all have been doing a great job with this little fellow!
Love you all!

Ingrid :)

p.s. I can't believe Emy is starting school!

Peter and Nancy said...

Hooray for Luke's progress! He's done so well with you. You must feel so happy when you think of how well he has done in only 6 months. YIPES about the boot cost!! Thank heaven for insurance, right?

You guys start school so early! Thanks to the WI tourism dept.'s influence, we don't start until after Labor Day. (That means they're in school into June, though.) I can't wait to hear about Emy's first day.
-- Nancy

Carrie said...

We are praying for Luke to feel better!!

Caroline :) said...

so i forgot to ask you today but is Luke feeling better?! Jeanie told me that he was not feeling well and i was just cking on that!

ps i CANT belive that emy is starting school MAN how the time flys!! but thats great where is she going? well have a good wk!

Kristi W. said...

Yeah for Luke! So impressive all the progress he has made in such a short time. He is too cute!

I was wondering if you would mind e-mailing me? I wonder if Luke's eye issue might be similar to Shaili's and I'd love to talk with you about it. My e-mail address is: kristiwerre@yahoo.com

Thanks! Kristi