Sunday, December 1, 2013

Self Contained Classroom

Self contained classroom.  Do you know what that means?  Well, I didn't until the last semester of Luke's very unsuccessful, traditional-classroom, Kindergarten year.  The self-contained classroom has been a God sent miracle for Luke, me and our whole family.  Self containment is a BLESSING.
All of us want the best for our children.  Let's be honest, we want them to have more than we had, have it better than we had.  I don't know why because I really didn't have it all that bad.  I had two very loving parents who worked hard to feed, clothe and sent me to school.  We never lacked for any necessities.  Did I want more?  Of course....who doesn't?  So, at the end of Luke's Kindergarten year, his teacher, the principal, a 3rd grade teacher (not sure why she was there), an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, and me met about Mr. Luke.  If you've been reading my blog, you will notice the title "soap box".  Yep, I got on it.  I have humbly stepped off of that box.  When these people first mentioned a self contained classroom, Luke moving up to the 3rd grade (from Kindergarten) I thought I was spinning into the rabbit hole with Alice.  Nonstop flight to where the heck am I?  I have to give myself a pat on my back.  I listened, I researched, I visited this classroom (at a different school than Emy attends).  I was impressed with the work this EC teacher was doing.  Last year, Luke was in a traditional Kindergarten classroom with 23 other kids.  He was 1 of 25 with a teacher and an assistant.  That is a 1:12 ratio people.  1.  to.   12.   That's too much for Luke to take in.  Heck, that's too much for me to take in.  After I signed the papers to move him into the EC (exceptional children) classroom (10 minutes the other direction from Emy's school, I had so many second thoughts.  Then the summer was over and here it was......time for school to start.  Luke was enrolled into the 3rd grade in an EC classroom with 9 students to 4 teachers (1 teacher and 3 assistants).  Luke is in 3rd grade with 2 other students his age (on.   his.   level.)  He has brought home 2 report cards with HONOR ROLL both times.  No, he's not doing 3rd grade level work but he is advancing quickly to catch up.  He is spelling.  He is reading.  He feels confident.  He is proud of himself.  I haven't heard "I can't do it" once since he started this new adventure.  He rides the bus to school every morning.  He rides the bus to Emy's school in the afternoons.  He loves the bus.  He loves his teachers.  He loves his school.  He loves feeling SMART.  I am so thankful.  I am so glad that I didn't stay up on that box.  I am so very happy that my son has a chance at a somewhat normal educational experience.  Does he know he's different?  Of course he does.  But now he knows that different can be positive.  Different can be successful.  Different can be accepted.  Our long term plan is that Luke will spend three years at this school, in this classroom.  Then he will move onto middle school for 3 more years (also in EC classroom settings).  Then he will spend 6 years completing his high school certificate.  This will allow him to even go to our local community college.  Yes, college.  I am so proud of my boy.  Luke is going to make it.  He is going to have all that I can provide for him.  I love him so much and I'm so impressed with his work this year.  Are we gonna have meltdowns?  Yep, I expect so.  But I can handle those.  They are fewer and farther between than ever.  My son is being accepted as a normal kid.  That.......is my miracle of this season.  Praise the Lord and thank you Jesus.  This Thanksgiving, I had so much to list, but I wanted my blogging friends to know what's been going on with my Lukey.  We've been busy, but I just had to sit down and share this.  If you are having problems with school, step up and say something.  I wish I would've pushed harder, faster and got something done BEFORE he ever started Kindergarten.  AS a parent, you just know if you need to do something.  I knew it and hesitated, wanting him to blend in the traditional classroom.  Don't do it, don't hesitate.  Meet with the teachers and whomever else you need to talk with.  Do it now.  That's my only regret.  Now it onto Monday--Luke is looking forward to catching that bus.  Sorry I rambled, but there it is.  Talk to you guys soon. Love, Cindy

1 comment:

Julie & Patrick said...

So glad you have found success for Luke. This is awesome. Having a plan must bring so much calm to you. Thanks for the update. It is always so uplifting to hear about these positive steps.

Julie